English phrasal verbs with THINK
to think combined with particles
Think of –
1- Find a fact or a thing that exists by thinking:
- Can you think of any explanation why the flowers have died?
- I can’t think of a better way of getting fit
2- Consider the possibility of doing something:
- I’m thinking of buying a house on the coast
- John’s thinking of opening an office in London
Think up –
Invent (especially an idea).
- The prisoners tried to think up a plan for escape.
- I don’t want to go to my cousin’s wedding but I can’t think up a good excuse.
- Johnny! You’ll have to think up a very good reason why you haven’t done your homework again.
think out or think through (esp Am E)
Consider (something) in detail, with care, reach a decision after much careful thought:
- His business didn’t work. He obviously hadn’t thought out his marketing strategy beforehand.
- Cristina is really thinking through all her career possibilities before choosing a university.